How to Acknowledge & Honor Deceased Family Members in a Wedding.
There are many ways to honor a deceased family member or loved one in a wedding. Below are a few suggestions.
1. Set up a small table at the wedding reception with a flower arrangement and a card saying “In memory of those loved ones who are not with us today” or more specifically, “In memory of Martina Jensen, mother of the bride.” You could also put a picture of the bride or groom with the deceased person you are honoring.
2. Place a flower on a seat in the front row, and/or a picture of the deceased family member. It can remain unmentioned or the minister can refer to it at a certain point in the ceremony.
3. Place a photo of the deceased family member on the altar or near the unity candle table or sand ceremony table.
4. Place a memorial candle which the bride or groom (or both) will light at the start of the ceremony. A picture of the deceased family member can also be placed next to it. Include in the program that the memorial candle is being lit in memory of ___________.
5. After welcoming the guests, the minister can say, "Before we begin our celebration today, the Bride and Groom would like us all to take a moment to remember those family members who can be with them today solely in spirit, especially mother of the bride ________. Bride appreciates all of the love and support _______ has given her throughout the years and would like to take a moment to remember her today. There is then a 10 second pause.
7. Before the vows the minister says, before we continue, the Bride and Groom would like us all to take a moment to remember those family members who can be with them today solely in spirit, especially mother of the bride ___________________. There is then a 10 second pause.
9. Incorporate butterflies into your ceremony which are released at a certain time.
10. Light a memorial candle during a special song or poem. In the program you can have the song / poem printed in memory of your deceased loved one or in loving memory of ________________.